Generating leads online in today’s consumer-centric marketplace is all about anticipating customers’ needs, being there to offer valuable content when the search is on, and engaging customers by providing additional content and offers they can use. Deliver the virtual goods to potential clients when they need it and you will be on your way to building a solid customer relationship.
- Be specific. Create content to solve potential customer’s immediate problems. The more relevant the offer, the more likely the customer will be provide part with their valuable contact information. One great way to generate this kind of content is to ask your customer what their specific pain points are and develop content to address their issues.
- Be efficient. Once you’ve engaged a customer who wants to download your content, direct them to a landing page that focuses exclusively on delivering the content they seek. Keep your form short, asking only for the information you really need. Remember that each additional field a customer sees on the landing page reduces the likelihood that they will complete the form. The amount of information you request should have a reasonable relationship to the value of the content you are offering.
- Be generous. Have lots of content in the pipeline so you can nurture your leads with valuable content for follow up. With each download of content you will learn more about your lead and the information needed to complete the sale.
Digital marketing strategies offer a variety of platforms to help you generate leads online. A hotel in the Florida Keys initiates a destination-wedding video marketing campaign in January because 26% of all marriage proposals happen over the Holidays. A charter fishing boat in the Northeast starts their pay-per-click campaign in November because they understand that true anglers plan these trips months in advance. A remodeling contractor ramps up their content marketing efforts in the off-season because they know that stoking the flames of remodeling fever over the long winter months with new ideas and plans can often lead to conversions come the spring.
These companies understand their customers’ persona and the importance of engaging with their customers online to generate leads. This applies to all businesses, not just seasonal ones. The key to generating leads online is to provide valuable content early in the buying cycle in exchange for your customer’s contact information. Once you have engaged your contacts, you should create a plan to nurture these marketing qualified leads through the entire sales funnel, converting them into customers and retaining their loyalty with relevant content and offers.
Obviously, the assets you offer are the key to engaging your customers and converting them into leads. This content comes in many forms depending on your business. You can look at your current sales and product materials and see what you can convert into content for an inbound campaign or you could adapt your current special offers and deals to an online offer format.
Here is a list of the most common types of content offers:
- How To Guides
- Special offers or online coupons
- Free consultations or assessments
Providing clear, useful information to your customer without strings or obligation engages your customers and helps to convert online leads to paying customers when the time comes to make a buying decision. If you would like to learn more about designing and optimizing effective Landing Pages, download our free eBook “Optimizing Landing Pages for Lead Generation and Conversion.”