Almost every company has an opportunity to generate leads online. Doing so requires a clear strategy and a focus on the whole lead generation structure (called the funnel). Too many companies focus strictly on driving traffic to their website and forget about ways to capture leads once they have the visitor on their site. The following post will break down the process for generating more leads online for both B2B and B2C companies.
Step 1: Know the online behaviors of your online leads
The first step is to have an understanding of the online behavior of your company’s leads. Ask yourself the following questions:
- What sites do your online leads visit other than yours including news sites, sports sites, competitor’s sites, trade sites and industry sites?
- What search terms do your online leads use when searching for pain points, challenges, products and services?
- What blogs or industry thought leaders do your leads follow?
- What social sites are your leads connected with (Twitter, Facebook and/or LinkedIn)?
Once you have the answers to these basic questions, you can start marketing your site in places that will reach and attract your leads to your website.
Step 2: Drive leads to your website
Marketing to your leads can be done through a variety of ways depending on your industry or company. There are a few marketing activities that all companies should be doing, however. These include the following:
- Blogging: This is probably one of the most important marketing activities that you can do to generate high quality online leads. Blogging establishes you and your company as a thought leader and expert. High quality content found in blogs has become increasingly important to the search engines. This helps your website rank higher on the Search Engine Results Page (SERP) so that when leads are searching for your products or services or things related to what you do you can be easily found.
- SEO: Optimizing your website pages is also extremely important when trying to increase your rank in search engines. SEO is quite complex but like blogging, the key is to create highly valuable content on your website that speaks to your leads.
- Social media: Engaging with your leads via social media is also a great way to drive traffic back to your website. The key is to promote your valuable content so that your content is shared with others.
Starting with these marketing activities is a great way to drive quality leads back to your website but the process does not end here.
Step 3: Converting leads online
Once you drive web traffic to your website it is extremely important to capture and convert the visitors into leads. The process for doing so resides in one key element: the landing page.
Your landing pages are where your site visitors become leads and allow you to have more targeted conversations, driving them closer to converting from a lead to a customer.
The following is a list of best practices to follow when creating a landing page:
- Include a form: What defines a landing page is the form. Your form is where you gather information from you website visitor. Questions to ask in your form include name, email, website and current marketing budget.
- An offer: Your lead is not going to give up his or her information without the incentive of receiving something of value. This value comes in the form of an offer like a FREE whitepaper or guide. Therefore it is important to create compelling offers for your leads that will lead to an exchange of their information.
- No navigation: If your landing page has navigation to other parts of your site or to your social media channels, you will reduce the chances that your leads will fill out your form. Therefore, eliminate all navigation from your landing page.
- Include a compelling headline and benefits of offer: Drawing attention to your offer right away will increase the chances you convert the lead. Our online leads are busy and if they don’t quickly understand why they are on your landing page they are likely to leave. Describe the benefits of your offer in 3-5 sentences and get them to the form.
If you follow these three easy steps you will drastically increase the number of online leads you are generating.
For more detailed information on optimizing your landing pages, download our eBook.
Need help with any part of the online lead generation process? Please email Joe Matar for a free consultation.